Always want to have the latest Sysinternals tools in your Start Menu without installing anything? Sounds impossible right? Well it is not! Thincomputing.net has reached for the cloud(s) and Thincomputing Tools - the Cloud Edition is here.
Later live.sysinternals.com was created which was even cooler. Live.sysinternals.com is a website where you can run some of the Sysinternals tools right of the web. This is really cool, except for the fact that you have to open up your browser and type something like http://live.sysinternals.com/processexplorer.exe. For me, this usually was not a big success because I would at least have two typos and would of course forget the exact name of the executable. Another reason why it was not perfect for me was that I have grown accustomed to using the Windows 7 Start Menu to just search for whatever I want to run and hit enter.
So I decided to combine the power of the search function of the Start Menu in Windows 7 with the power of live.sysinternals.com and Thincomputing.net Tools: the Cloud Edition was born! (sorry, I couldn't resist using the word 'cloud')
All the Thincomputing.net Tools Cloud Edition (.exe) does is create a shortcut in your "All Users" Start Menu for the following sysinternals tools:
- Process Explorer
- Process Monitor
- TCP View
See this example, searching for the word "process" give you Process Monitor and Process Explorer:
The great thing about this is that these shortcuts actually points to the location of the sysinternals on live.sysinternals.com so you always run the latest version. A couple of things to know:
- On Windows7 and 2008 R2 you need to run the Thincomputing.net Tools exe as an administrator
- Should it not be clear: you need to have internet access to be able to run the tools
- There is no uninstall - just delete the shortcuts from your start menu!
- You will see a nag screen about the fact that I used a freeware version of a program to create the Thincomputing.net Tools Cloud Edition. I know this: if the download seems to be popular, I will save up and buy the program
If you have any feedback or feature requests let me know in the comments!
Download the Thincomputing.net Tools Cloud Edition (Downloaded 1109 times)
- Sysinternals Tools updated – Process Explorer just got a little TS friendlier
- Sysinternals Tools Updated: ProcMon 3.0 released
- Updated Sysinternals Tools
- Installing Android 2.2 on Hyper-V
- Group Policy Preferences in a non-persistent VDI environment