Now that is an easy name . Virsto Software announced a beta release of Virsto for VDI, vSphere Edition. Let’s see what it is.
Just as the hypervisor did for servers, Virsto is delivering new levels of efficiency, affordability and agility for storage in virtualized environments. Traditionally, provisioning storage in virtualized environments required a choice between production-level performance and efficient storage capacity consumption. With its hypervisor-agnostic, software-based approach to storage virtualization, only Virsto combines performance and efficiency to fundamentally transform the economics of storage for virtual machines (VMs). Virsto for VDI, first launched in April 2011, is a hypervisor-based storage virtualization software solution proven to reduce overall storage costs for virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) projects by 70 percent or more. Virsto arms private and public cloud architects with new storage efficiency and rapid provisioning gains to remove one of the largest obstacles to VDI adoption, the excessive cost of storage per virtual desktop.
Virsto for VDI, vSphere Edition, offers a new, no-compromise approach to storage virtualization. Virsto specifically enhances vSphere by delivering consistent high performance, with storage thin provisioning and greatly simplified, self-service bulk provisioning of VMs, all managed through a seamless integration with the vCenter management interface.
- Efficiency: High performance, space-efficient Virsto vClones consume up to 90 percent less storage capacity than traditional approaches. Virsto delivers fixed VMDK performance with thin provisioned VMs.
- Affordability: Virsto changes the economics of storage for VDI, delivering significantly improved I/O performance, while reducing back-end storage hardware cost per desktop by up to 70 percent or more. Virsto provides enhanced performance and high-end storage management features to lower cost arrays, while improving performance of SSD-based storage.
- Agility: Virsto simplifies and accelerates virtual desktop provisioning at scale through a rapid-provisioning wizard within vCenter and enables self-service VM storage provisioning and management. Thousands of VDI instances can be provisioned in minutes, while unlimited snapshots and thin-provisioned clones enable projects to easily scale to tens of thousands of virtual desktops.
Founded in 2007, Virsto has developed the first and only multi-hypervisor storage virtualization software solution built for virtual machines. A close partner of VMware, Citrix and Microsoft, the company has a proven track record of storage virtualization innovation. Virsto's software lets all organizations, including enterprise, private and public cloud customers reap the full benefits of server and desktop virtualization, increasing performance while lowering storage costs. Pricing for Virsto for VDI is $2,800 per host. Virsto for VDI, vSphere Edition is now in Beta, with general availability planned for Q4 2011. Virsto for VDI, Hyper-V Edition is available now. For more information visit www.virsto.com.
- Virsto Updates Software for vSphere and Hyper-V
- VMware to Acquire Virsto Software
- Atlantis Computing and Trend Micro Launch First VMware View Reference Architecture
- Centrix Software Strikes Alliance with Atlantis Computing to Address VDI Storage Challenge
- Guess what? VMware manages Hyper-V! ( just as a fling though)